Arts are integral to the education of the Lower School child. Music and visual art give students a language with which to communicate and express their ideas and feelings. When children are engaged in the creative process and discussions, they learn how connected they are to other people and cultures. The arts inspire creative responses, critical thinking and problem solving.
Lower School students receive two art classes and two music classes each week to launch them in discovering unanticipated possibilities.
- Representational drawing skills: shapes, depth, value
- Cross-curriculum collaboration
- Art outings
- Art critiques
- Art displays throughout the school
- Visual arts open house each spring
- Orff instruction
- Improvisation & creative movement experiences
- All-State Chorus for Fifth Graders
- Louisville Orchestra concerts
- Holiday Concert
- Spring music program
- Recital assemblies
- Interdisciplinary opportunities